7 Reasons to Own a Home
1. Tax benefits. The US tax code lets you deduct the interest you pay on your mortgage, property taxes, and some of the costs involved in buying a home.
2. Appreciation. Historically, real estate has had a long-term, stable growth in value. According to the National Association of Realtors, median single-family existing-home sale prices have increased on average 5.2% each year from 1972 through 2014. The number of US households is expected to rise 10-15% percent over the next decade, creating continued demand for housing.
3. Equity. Money paid for rent is money that you’ll never see again, but mortgage payments let you build equity ownership interest in your home.
4. Savings. Building equity in your home is a ready-made savings plan. When you sell, you can generally take up to $250,000 ($500,000) for a married couple) as gain without owing any federal income tax.
5. Predictability. Unlike rent, your fixed-rate mortgage payments don’t rise over the years, so your housing costs may decline as you own the home longer. However, keep in mind that property taxes and insurance costs will likely increase.
6. Freedom. The home is yours. You can decorate any way you want and choose the types of upgrades and new amenities that appeal to your lifestyle.
7. Stability. Remaining in one neighborhood for several years allows you and your family time to build long-lasting relationships within the community. It also offers children the benefit of educational and social continuity.